Alexander At’Ta Associates, Inc.
Value Detector, Value Creators & Solution Providers
Richard Oden is a persuasive professional speaker and business leader, with an extensive background in government, both small and big businesses. A forty plus year veteran in the corporate and government environments.
Richard has reinvented himself late in his career to reach out to fellow business, and government people with his message of attitude, action and achievement. As the founder and CEO of Alexander At’Ta Associates, Richard Oden is called by small startups, midsize and big businesses along with governments as a peak performance and process improvement consultant.
Like a master mechanic, Richard is skillful at identifying broken links and stumbling blocks within any business operation, non-profit organization and government and then rendering workable solutions that improves efficiency and effectiveness.For the last 30 plus years, Richard has honed his executive leadership skills and knowledge in business and government operations; whereby applying proven process performance improvement strategies with laser precision that successfully manages change.
His high energy and unique dynamic interactive style is coupled with his real life experiences that allow participants to visualize real-time solutions to their challenges; whereby reaching each participant with his compelling message of attitude, action and achievement.
Richard is an executive and personal development life coach; he is a professional keynote speaker and a leadership enhancement trainer.
With a heart for at-risk youths, Richard Oden started The Alexander At’Ta Fund, which is a 501 C 3 non-profit organization designed to encourage young people to get involved in civic engagement, volunteering, take on continuous learning and entrepreneurship. These opportunities allow young people to take the first successful steps into giving back to the community while learning skills that lead to the world of business leadership.
Richard frequently addresses large and small businesses as well as college and high school students. In addition to being a prolific inspirational speaker, Richard has also released several audio CD and MP3’s recordings and authored “Moving Beyond Appearance” a self-help personal growth and development book.
In 2008, Rockdale County voters elected Richard A. Oden to serve as Chairman and CEO of the Board of Commissioners for his first four-year term beginning in January, 2009 and in 2012 Richard was re-elected for a 2nd four year term. He is the first person of color to be elected Chairman and CEO of Rockdale County. Since his election to office, he has become a proven results oriented public servant. Under his administration, Rockdale County earned the 2008, 2009, 2010 2012, 2013 and 2014 Comprehensive Accounting of Financial Reporting Certificate (CAFR) for achieving excellence in financial management reporting and internal control. This is the highest award for a government which is presented by the Government Official Finance Association (GOFA). Under his fiscal leadership, Rockdale County maintained an AA2, AA2 to AA3 bond rating in 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 despite state and national economic turmoil.
In 2015 the Association of County Commissioners of Georgia (ACCG) Board of Managers nominated and unanimously selected Chairman Richard Oden to serve as one of two members to represent the State of Georgia on the National Association of Counties (NACo) National Board of Directors.
Additionally, Richard Oden participates on several local and statewide boards and commissions which includes, but are not limited to:
- Appointed by the past six ACCG Presidents to serve as Chairperson of the Economic Development and Transportation Committee (EDT) that has the responsibility of leading the entire state of Georgia County Commissioners. This EDT Platform Policy Committee represents all 159 counties and is tasked with setting statewide policy recommendations for the association. These policies are transmitted to the ACCG Board of Managers for approval at the Legislative Leadership Conference held annually. The Association’s six (6) platform policies are then presented to the Georgia House and Senate State Legislators for action.
- Elected Vice Chairman of the GEBCorp and ACCG Defined Contribution Board of Trustees.
- Appointed to the Governance Transit Task Force by Governor Nathan Deal to help develop legislation for the 2012 regional transit policy. The job of the Task Force was to recommend a state agency or authority to assume the responsibilities of oversight and coordination of transit services in the metro Atlanta region.
- Appointed to serve as a member of the Atlanta Regional Commission’s (ARC) Executive Committee comprised of ten (10) metro Atlanta counties and 68 cities.
- Serving as the 2015 Chairman of the ARC Community Resource Committee (CRC) leading the charge on water, energy, housing, land use, government services, and natural resources.
- Leading the ARC Comprehensive Economic Development Strategic Steering and Work Teams, comprised of Metro and Local Chambers of Commerce, the Business and Academic Communities and other key stakeholders. The fruit of his leadership has been the production of a unified regional economic development strategy.
- Serving on the ARC’s Budget and Finance Committee.
- Appointed Chairman of the ARC Legislative Committee to help improve relationships with the state General Assembly.
- An active member of the proposed $6.1 billion Transportation Regional Transit Roundtable Committee and a member of ARC’s Transportation and Air Quality Committee (TAQC) as well as the ARC Regional Transit Committee.
Richard A. Oden has received numerous awards since taking office and can be lauded for many of his accolades being accomplished in his first two terms. Some of his commendations include, but are not limited to:
- 2013 Jean L. Williams Community Service Award presented by the Rockdale County Chapter of the NAACP;
- 2013 Community Service Award from Jack & Jill of America, Inc., East Suburban Atlanta Chapter;
- 2011 Trailblazer Award from The National Association of Minority Contractors;
- Recipient of the Atlanta Business League’s 2009 Men of Influence Class (joining the ranks of national leaders including U.S. Ambassador Andrew Young, Reverend Dr. Joseph E. Lowery, the Honorable John Lewis, Dr. Benjamin Elijah Mays, the Honorable Maynard Holbrook Jackson, Jr., Dr. Louis W. Sullivan MD, Dr. David Satcher, MD PhD, the Honorable Henry “Hank” Aaron, and Mr. Nathaniel Hawthorne, Herman Russell and many more.
- Recipient of the Rockdale County NAACP 2007 Trailblazer Award for being the first African-American to seek public office as a Rockdale County Commissioner since the county’s establishment in 1870.
Mr. Oden is a self-published author, national keynote speaker, an executive life and process performance improvement coach, trainer, and facilitator. A graduate of Kent State University in Ohio, Mr. Oden received a Bachelor’s of Science Degree in HPER and Industrial Relations in 1973. He is a Life Member of the KSU Golden Flash Club and a member of the KSU 1972 Mid-American Conference Championship Football Team, where he was a Captain and his coaches and teammates voted him the Most Inspirational Player.